Amber teething necklace – what it can do for your baby
An amber teething necklace is a specially designed necklace consisting of small, lightweight, and smoothly polished amber beads, that when worn by a baby or toddler, can assist in relieving the symptoms commonly associated with teething.
How did the amber teething necklace come about?
The amber teething necklace was created with the purpose of combining the natural healing properties of genuine Baltic amber with the need to soothe the discomforts associated with teething.
What is teething?
Teething is the stage of a baby’s development when they begin to get their first set of teeth. This can begin anywhere from 3-12 months of age, but most commonly begins around the age of 6 months. The symptoms of teething can vary in type and intensity depending on each particular child. However, it is not uncommon for most babies to have teething symptoms such as:
- excessive drooling – which can result in a rash forming around the mouth and chin area
- red warm cheeks
- irritability – an understandable reaction, given the pain and discomfort that new forming teeth can create
- low grade fever
- biting or chewing on things in order to provide counter pressure to the pain
- rubbing and pulling at ears and cheeks
What is Baltic amber?
Genuine Baltic amber is fossilised tree resin (not sap) that has long been appreciated for its raw and natural beauty. It has been used for centuries in European cultures to help alleviate many ailments, and its natural medicinal properties are now gaining increased popularity in other countries, and more recently, in Australia.
People seeking to benefit from its anti-inflammatory, energy boosting, natural analgesic, and general healing properties commonly call upon Amber jewellery These benefits are credited to the primary ingredient of this resin, succinic acid, found in the outside layer of the Amber. When it is placed against the skin, a person’s body warmth is enough to heat up the Amber to a level where it releases the succinic acid into the skin pores, and ultimately into the bloodstream. Baltic amber is warm to the touch, and can range in colour from a pale, cloudy cream colour, right through to a deep dark brown.
How is an amber teething necklace made?
The amber is polished into smooth, small beads, and then placed on a piece of string which has a knot tied between each bead to prevent scattering should the necklace break. A special screw safety clasp is used for doing up the necklace. For babies and toddlers, the typical amber teething necklace is about 30-40mm long.
Amber Teething Necklace benefits:
While emotions as to the true benefits of an amber teething necklace can be mixed, many mums are adamant they work, and the huge spike in their popularity would suggest that their benefits are more fact than fiction. Many of the acclaimed benefits of having an amber teething necklace for your baby are as follows:
- Amber is a completely natural form of pain management. It is good for baby and good for the environment as well. Best of all, this natural healer is completely non-toxic, so if by some chance a bead is swallowed, there should be no adverse affects.
- The calming properties of amber mean that they can soothe and calm an irritable or stressed baby
- Due to their anti-inflammatory properties, an amber teething necklace can soothe inflamed cheeks and gums
- The analgesic benefit means that pain can be reduced, minimising or eliminating the need for traditional medications such as paracetamol etc.
- Amber can help to stimulate the thyroid glands, which in turn assists in reducing the amount of dribble (and therefore dribble rash)
- Baltic Amer is claimed to be able to help a variety of sleep, respiratory, and skin conditions (such as eczema)
For those that prefer to turn to natural sources of medication and pain relief, retailing at a very reasonable price, an amber teething necklace is probably well worth a go. However, please make sure you consult a doctor if your baby’s symptoms persist, or be prepared to use other forms of treatment if there are no signs of improvement in your bub’s discomfort.
Amber Teething Necklace Precautions:
While there are many benefits to these new infant accessories, it is important to realize that they must be used with care, and you may be subject to some odd looks and miss-informed comments when out and about. It is essential that anyone about to put one of these necklaces on their baby or toddler understand the following:
- Although they are named ‘teething necklace’, they are NOT for your baby to chew on. If you want something for bubs to chew down on, find a teething toy (or look at the silicone teething necklace options)
- Ensure that the necklace is not long enough for your baby to place in their mouth (so they can’t suck or chew on it)
- Due to the small beads, these do pose a choking hazard, so NEVER leave your baby unattended while they are wearing the necklace
- Make sure you buy ONLY genuine Baltic Amber (cheap imitations and fakes obviously won’t work)
- Do not let your baby sleep in a teething necklace, as this may increase the risk of strangulation
- Be prepared to receive comments from people who think you are trying to make your baby ‘fashionable’ with jewellery at a ridiculously young age (these sorts of opinions arise from the general publics lack of knowledge regarding the medicinal benefits of amber)
- Remove the necklace when swimming or bathing, so as not to weaken the necklace thread (increasing the risk of the thread breaking)